Friday, April 17, 2009

Module 2 Newsgroups

Newsgroups task. Get a reader working, choose a group, post a message, record to journal.

After reading through the task information, I tried web based services first...and they sucked. Outlook was already installed and ready to go from the email task so off we go.

First stop ISP for some info, for once Telstra's part of the deal went smoothly. Opened Outlook started newsreader, entered the news reader server name and dowloaded newsgroup list. Pretty quick, couple of minutes, but we are on dsl2.0.
In my business we use Photoshop heavily so it was the obvious choice as a group topic to choose.



After subscribing I downloaded all the most recent (300) messages and started to have a read.



Well flame on! I thought that teenage gamer sites inhabited by crusty, old school, text based, adults had the worst flamers, but ouch. The first thread made me wince. Get past that and there is some good content but wow people are narky when they aren't held to account.

I found a thread about graphics tablets, which are devices for drawing digitally and posted a reply. Here is a screen shot, and cut and paste.





ahall@no-spam-panix.com

Re: Tablet recommendations

wrote in message news:...
>
> I think I will finally get a tablet (mainly for photoshop,
> but I might use it in AE and Illustrator too).
>
> I really do not know how to size it. Would 6x8 be big enough
> for non-pro use? That should fit nicely on my desk.
>
> How about the 6D pen? Is that a worthy upgrade?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
>
> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in comp.graphics.apps.photoshop...)

Hi Andrew,

I have a Wacom 6x8 which I use professionally in my wide format printing business.
I use it mainly for selecting in Photoshop. I think it is a good size for this
purpose. I would recommend that you consider a wireless keyboard and mouse so that
you can put them to one side when you want to use the tablet. Can't help you with
the stylus question as I have only used the one that came with it. To get a more
realistic feel when drawing, I place a sheet of paper on the tablet for friction.

Jason Radich.



No comments:

Post a Comment