Sunday, April 26, 2009

Module 3 - Standards

Optional 'standards' task 1

"Make a summary of what you believe are the 5 most important rules for writing online."

You know you content is good, no great, right? So the most important thing is to capture a user and hold them. So with that in mind this is my top 5 in order.

  1. Relevant. In the first second, as your visitor's eyes flick over your page and their brain looks for metadata matches, they better see information, or links to information that is relevant to why they navigated to your page in the first place, or they are gone.
  2. Best and latest content at the top. Make them scroll and you increase the percentage of users that depart before they see you great work.
  3. Concise. Get to the point! Then provide links to more detailed information. Annotated links are a great way to do this.
  4. Scannable. Smart use of headings, lists, meaningful and annotated links, will engae the user and build trust.
  5. Well laid out. To some, conventions are boring, but in the case of layout, colour and font usage, there is a lot of time money and effort put into establishing the most efficient way to present information to people. Experiment by all means, but ignore conventions at your peril. Jakob Nielsen's eye scanning research is one good example to bear in mind when laying out your page.


Optional 'standards' task 2

Validate your page:

In this task we have to validate our code at the W3C html validator service. Then record our thoughts on the results. Page passed, first time!



Examine copyright issues:

All of the content on my page is mine including the image of the printed circuit board. If I had put the Curtin logo at the top of my page without permission I would have been in breach of copyright as the logo belongs to the university. If I used it as part of a task I would have acknowledged the source and sought permission to use it.


ftp:

I uploaded my page and the image associated with it to the server that my business website resides on. I used the browser based file management software, but could have done the same thing with filezilla.

The url of my webpage is http://www.pennanthillsframing.com.au/net11page.html

No comments:

Post a Comment